Repubished from here: https://learningsalesforcecpq.com/2018/09/19/auto-populate-fields-on-quote-creation/
A specific set of fields on Quote can be auto-populated from the associated Opportunity and Account at the time of creating a new Quote.
If you do not do the necessary setup, sales reps would spend time re-entering Quote fields which were already filled in at the time of creating Opportunity and Account.
Salesforce CPQ provides a Field Metadata custom setting where we can set up the fields that we want to be pre-filled with the corresponding values on Quote creation.
John Cook works as a CPQ Administrator at Universal Containers (UC). Usually, Sales reps at UC go through Account -> Opportunity -> Quote flow to create new Opportunities and Quotes.
While creating a new Opportunity from an Account, lookup to that Account gets set on the Opportunity. While creating a new Quote from an Opportunity, lookup to that Opportunity gets set but, lookup to the Opportunity’s Account DOESN’T get set on the Quote. Reps have to explicitly select the corresponding Account in Account field on the Quote.
Sales Reps expect that the system should be smart enough to automatically pre-populate the Account lookup on Quote with its Opportunity’s Account.
How to Setup?
- Navigate to Setup | Develop | Custom Settings | Field Metadata. Click ManageField Metadata
- Click New on the Field Metadata page.
- Enter the Name, Field Name and Object Name of the Field you want to auto-populate where
- Name: SFDC ID of Account Field (SFDC ID of the Quote Field)
- Field Name: SBQQ__Account__c (Quote Field API Name)
- Object Name: SBQQ__Quote__c (API Name of the Object)New Field Metadata Custom Setting RecordNew Field Metadata Record
- To get the Account Field SFDC ID, navigate to Setup | Build | Create | Objects | Quote | Account Field. Copy the SFDC ID from the address URL of this page.Account Field on Quote
- Click Save.
Check if it works as expected
- Navigate to the Opportunity on which you want to create a new Quote, go-to Quotes Related List and click New button.Opportunity Page- Account Details
- Once done, you can see that the Account field on Quote gets pre-filled with the associated Opportunity’s Account i.e. Genepoint.Account Field pre-populated with Opportunity’s Account on Quote
- Repeat for the other Fields that you want to be auto-populated.All records in Field Metadata Custom SettingAll records in Field Metadata
- When you click New Quote button in Quotes related list on Opportunity, you can see that the Account, Sales Rep and Billing & Shipping Address fields on Quote are auto-populated with the information from associated Opportunity and Account.Quote Creation Page WITH auto-populated fields
Supported Fields –
- You can configure the following fields to auto-populate on a quote:
|FIELD LABEL||FIELD API NAME|
|Billing Postal Code||SBQQ__BillingPostalCode__c|
|Shipping Postal Code||SBQQ__ShippingPostalCode__c|
Billing Address Fields
- When billing address fields are set to auto-populate, bill-to information is pulled from either the distributor, partner or direct account present on the Opportunity:
- By default, bill-to information is pulled from the distributor account.
- If there is no distributor account present on the opportunity, billing information is pulled from the partner account.
Shipping Address Fields
- When shipping fields are set to auto-populate, ship-to information is pulled from the direct account present on the Opportunity. If ship-to information within the direct account is empty, the auto-populating fields will instead pull the values from bill-to information.
Special Fields on Opportunity
- You need to create special fields on Opportunity to auto-populate below fields on the Quote.
|QUOTE FIELDS||SPECIAL FIELDS TO BE CREATED ON OPPORTUNITY|
Sales Rep Field on Quote
- If “SBQQ__SalesRep__c” field is added in the Field Metadata custom setting, Quote’s Sales Rep field is pre-filled with the value from Opportunity’s Owner field.
- Navigate to the Opportunity on which you want to create a new Quote, go-to Quotes Related List and click New button.
- You can see that the Sales Rep field on Quote gets pre-filled with the associated Opportunity’s Owner i.e. JASON LIVESTON.Sales Rep Field pre-populated with Opportunity’s Owner on Quote